Feed aggregator

Re: Pre-ride (or pre-drive) checks.

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 10:56am
I always check that the car is there before I get in it. I have however, some time ago, forgotten to check that I went to work in the car before walking home.

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 10:55am
Vorpal wrote:irc wrote:Everyone agrees the attack was unjustified. What we are talking about is whether or not any reasonable alternative actions could have avoided the attack.
Yes. He could have not pushed her.

Everyone agrees the attack was unjustified.

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 10:54am
broadway wrote:irc wrote:If I'm riding in a straight line along a road and an overtaking car hits me I'm completely blameless but the accident is still avoidable if I look in my mirror, see it coming and swerve to my nearside.

Easy enough to say, however who's to say what the consequence of your sudden swerve is?

I am. That's why I ride 1m from the kerb. Enough space to make close overtakes into comfortable ones. In one case I have had to ride off the road onto a dirt/gravel shoulder. As I was on a stable touring bike with relatively wide tyres I stayed upright. But in any case a crash on gravel would have been better than being hit by a camper van at 60mph which was the alternative.

Re: Shoreham air crash

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 10:36am
661-Pete wrote:Well, certainly this is not the time to argue, you have a point (though to me a narrow shared-use path doesn't constitute a cycling route ). Much of the A27 is fast D/C and I wouldn't contemplate cycling on those sections myself nor advising others to, partly because there are perfectly good parallel routes (the A259 and the 'old' A27 through Brighton and Shoreham now re-numbered the A270), and partly because part of it (the Southwick Hill tunnel section) is banned to cyclists anyway.
Not arguing, just pointing out that with the upgraded shared use path (October last year, IIRC: still with crap junction treatments, though), North Lancing to Shoreham airport along the A27 no longer involves sharing a 70mph dual carriageway (although IME it's OK westbound when it's clogged up). As such it's another reason for using the Coombes Road as a route north from the coast if you are coming from Worthing on other than an MTB (or without a strong wish to climb over the Downs on the Bostal Road).

And yes, airshows, especially with fast jets, are worrying - speaking as a mechanical engineer.

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 10:19am
kwackers wrote:Firstly the 'red man' is a 'red herring'. Pedestrians are under no obligation to wait for the red man, might be advisable and in this case he most certainly should have waited - but he didn't.

Presume you mean "wait for the green man" otherwise it makes no sense? If so, rule 21 states "At traffic lights. There may be special signals for pedestrians. You should only start to cross the road when the green figure shows." We'll probably never agree, but just for the record.

So the only red herring here is the discussion of the cyclist's behaviour, it's irrelevant and also really inappropriate.Interesting gender dynamics though.

Vorpal wrote:I know that a pedestrian has no obligation to stop for a red man. Although conventions like that are what makes things easier for everyone, he certainly has the right to walk out into traffic, and that's exactly what he does.

I agree with almost everything you say but multiple HC rules state otherwise. You should definitely not walk into traffic but wait for a gap big enough to cross, and wait for the green if applicable. But otherwise you're bang on right, and the only person who could have acted to avoid the assault was its perpetrator.

Re: Shoreham air crash

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 10:09am
Ellieb wrote:The conclusion of the review will be that aircraft can do these manoeuvres over an empty field so that no-one on the ground will get killed if/when something goes wrong. Not over a busy road, houses, etc.
Similarly they had the "knee jerk" reaction to ban manoeuvres too close to airshow spectators after the Farnborough disaster.
& this has what to do with grounding Hunters?
Your previous post was that if this had happened over an empty field there would be no problem. I was agreeing with you, just formalising the process.

And yes, it would be better if a dozen people didn't need to be killed to demonstrate that this manoeuvre wasn't safe. Obviously it wasn't safe, it's hard to believe that the airshow organisers approved it. But as at Farnborough, it seems easier for society to learn these things afterwards.

Re: Netherlands Tour - Rig Statistics

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 28 August 2015 - 9:56am
For added geekiness, you could also split your body weight front and rear, in your normal riding position

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 9:23am
irc wrote:If I'm riding in a straight line along a road and an overtaking car hits me I'm completely blameless but the accident is still avoidable if I look in my mirror, see it coming and swerve to my nearside.

Easy enough to say in hindsight, however who's to say what the consequence of your sudden swerve is.

Re: Bike provision on Beeston tram route and a question

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 9:10am
I wonder what else could they have done in the space available other than make no cycle lanes.

Nottingham once had a tram network then they replaced it with trolley buses then replaced them with ordinary buses now they've built a tram system again but nowhere near as extensive as the original one. When will they make their minds up? For a quiet and pollution free city transport system the trolley bus seems a better as all that's needed are the overhead power lines.

Re: Pre-ride (or pre-drive) checks.

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 8:40am
I check tyres and brakes frequently: once per day if commuting or before a ride if I haven't used the bike in at least a day. I also check the kids' bikes, and encourage them to. Similarly, if the bike has been parked someplace vulnerable, I at least check it visually.

I do more thorough checks periodically, too. How often & when depends on the bike. My commuter gets a more thorough check approximately once every 5 or 6 days of commuting, and service as needed. My mountain bike, on the other hand, hasn't been used much since early spring (it was used with studded tyres in the winter), but I'm taking it up to Rallarvegen in a couple of weeks, so it will get a service this weekend, in case I need to get any bits or change anything (I suspect I need a new chain).

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 8:26am
irc wrote:Psamathe wrote:Bottom line (from my opinion) is that she did not hit him, yet he felt he felt it acceptable that he hit her. He was wrong.

If we do want to question what she might have done and assume she did e.g. give him the finger, why did he have to run after her some distance to assault her ? But for me that is not a big issue as whatever the answer, I can see no justification for his attack.

Ian

Everyone agrees the attack was unjustified. What we are talking about is whether or not any reasonable alternative actions could have avoided the attack.

Use of her brakes or steering for example. Or having had a near miss and verbal exchange, not to mention an alleged finger wagging should she have checked over her shoulder as she cycled away?

If I'm riding in a straight line along a road and an overtaking car hits me I'm completely blameless but the accident is still avoidable if I look in my mirror, see it coming and swerve to my nearside. It isn't my fault if someone punches me in the face but it''s still reasonable to suggest that maybe I could have avoided the punch by reading verbal and non verbal clues and taking avoiding action.

On the one hand I agree that if she'd done a shoulder check and saw him coming after her she could've escaped.
OTOH should people in a so called civilised society need to keep looking over their shoulder to see if anyone's about to assault them over such trivia?
The incident says more about UK society than we're prepared to consider IMHO.

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 8:21am
irc wrote:Everyone agrees the attack was unjustified. What we are talking about is whether or not any reasonable alternative actions could have avoided the attack.
Yes. He could have not pushed her.

Re: Pre-ride (or pre-drive) checks.

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 8:20am
Ok, that's funny....

I do look at the tyres quite often, but with a car on a slope they always look a bit flat to me...

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 8:00am
kwackers wrote:reohn2 wrote:Vorpal's post above about sums it up,the cyclist was no threat IMO the aggressor is the pedestrian,end of.
I don't deny he was the aggressor but when I watch the video I see the usual might is right approach except this time by a cyclist. (And an approach I witness with more and more frequency as time goes by and cyclist numbers increase.)

Vorpals post imo is wrong on a number of points.
Firstly the 'red man' is a 'red herring'. Pedestrians are under no obligation to wait for the red man, might be advisable and in this case he most certainly should have waited - but he didn't.

So he was playing chicken?
And when the lady didn't stop he got angry,is that possibly the answer to the "please don't trying and knock me off" plea from the cyclist?
"Please dont try to knock me off" can only be one of two things; she thought a collision was possible, in which case why not stop? (As Vorpal pointed out she wasn't going very fast and a quick 'frame by frame' shows she made no attempt to slow down at all.)
Of course perhaps she actually thought for some reason he might knock her off in which case there's even more reason to stop and avoid it! You can see the pedestrian on the video for a fair while, there's absolutely no reason to assume she can see something the camera can't - they both have the same viewpoint after all and if he'd shouted a warning he'd have been facing her and we'd have heard it.
IMO we'd be assuming a lot from the time he's in the picture,however the cyclist has first hand/real life time to assess the situation and it seems she thought there was some threat to her person otherwise why the plea not to be knocked off?
He said she gave him the finger - well something tipped him over the edge so I think it's a fair bet she did. The shaking of her head is simply icing on the cake.
To my mind you're assuming a lot,and he might already have been over the edge,maybe a chap who lives on the edge,maybe a complete nutter,there's a lot of them about.

So the scenerio is pretty straightforward.
A ped ill advisedly starts to cross, a bicycle is heading towards him. He continues (no obvious indication he's seen the cyclist) the cyclist realises he's not for stopping and talking to herself comments on the impending 'crash', she passes him closely and gives him the finger whilst shaking her head.
From his pov, he's crossing the road when a cyclist passes v.close and a combination of shock and anger particularly when he sees the cyclist give him the finger causes him to lose it.
More assumptions IMHO.

It's a bit like the woman that knocked me off, could she have braked? Of course, she didn't though because she believed she had right of way and thinking you have "right of way" somehow makes braking the last thing a person would want to do.
But that's not what IMO happened in this instance,and sheer aggression and horrible nastiness of the pedestrian's nature is played out in graphic detail a few seconds later.

Re: Bike provision on Beeston tram route and a question

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 7:30am
A case of bike provision not fit for purpose - unless the purpose is to legislate bikes off the road. I know one or two people who have come a ccropper on roads with tram tracks - they are not the cyclists best friend.

Re: Bike provision on Beeston tram route and a question

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 6:35am
Excellent post. How has this come to be? Totally inept.

When I asked about similar problems in the centre of the city I was told just to cycle in the middle of the tram lines. My speed will not be your speed: uphill, 8mph. Obviously I don't want to hold up the tram,but what else can you do? I hope the authorities have told the tram drivers about this.

Pathetic

Re: Home made electrolyte solution

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 6:28am
Quinine does offer relief for cramp but I think that using quinine is more masking the problem rather than sorting the actual cause of cramp. It is very rare that I get cramp - but over the last month or two it's started when riding. I do think that it's related to the fact that I overheat when cycling and am losing too much salt.

Re: Home made electrolyte solution

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 5:51am
Fruit juice mixed with Indian Tonic Water (must have quinine in it).

Re: Bike provision on Beeston tram route and a question

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 5:08am
I agree, I have cycled down that road many times and the best way I have found is to cycle between the tracks. You can then cycle down the road ok but you have to keep in mind that swerving to avoid anything is not an option.
If you cycle to the left of them then you can't get through the stops and if you cycle to the right of them cars will try to under-take you.

btw - there has been a lot of discussion as you can imagine on how to tackle tram tracks, I think there is a lot of confusion because the experiences of people who tend to cycle at around 5mph will be very different to someone who tends to cycle at higher speeds. At low speed you can often get away with crossing at narrow angles etc. but once you are cycling at any kind of speed I would suggest you treat them exactly as you would treat ice (especially when wet). It is not just the gap which is the danger, do not let your tyre anywhere near the metal.

I have yet to find a way to safely tackle either end of this road where you have to cross the tracks. Any attempt to try and cross them at near right angles results in my experience with the car behind me getting confused/impatient and trying to overtake resulting in a near miss. There is the facility to go up on to the pavement but not very practical in my opinion.

Re: Home made electrolyte solution

CTC Forum - On the road - 28 August 2015 - 4:11am
^^

Pineapple may work - would that make it taste a bit like a Pina Colada? I tried mine with just Coconut milk, some water and a little salt and had that whilst cycling into work tonight. I have never eaten cardboard before but I imagine that if I got some card, added some water and blended it up it would probably taste better. Still got a little bit of cramp on my journey too!

May just cycle over to PlanetX in Rotherham next week and pick up some more of their High5 tablets. I could collect all the bottles for my daughter's football team.
Syndicate content

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

Copyright © CTC 2015

Terms and Conditions