Becoming a cycle-friendly employer
Bicycle User Groups (BUGs)
Supporting an active BUG, or a group of employees who share an interest in cycling, will help an organisation provide well for cyclists. In a large organisation, a BUG might meet regularly to discuss cycling issues; in a smaller workforce, an email list or dedicated noticeboard might suffice.
Some BUGs have stated aims, such as making the workplace more cycle-friendly; others are primarily for socialising or company on the ride home.
- Recommend traffic-free or quiet routes to and from work;
- Provide tips on repairs and maintenance
- Help novice cyclists by acting as 'bike buddies' on their journey to and from work
- Order and supply leaflets/maps etc
- Meet with management to talk about cycling
- Organise rides, events, presentations etc
For more, see our guide to setting up and running a BUG.