- Smarter choices are particularly cost-effective in terms of congestion, yielding on average £10 of benefits to every £1 spent.
- Smarter choice programmes in the Sustainable Travel Towns of Darlington, Peterborough and Worcester made a positive contribution towards economic growth, reducing carbon emissions, increasing health, promoting equality of opportunity, and improving quality of life.
CTC View (formal statement of CTC's policy):
- Smarter choice measures are:
- a proven way of reducing car use and carbon emissions
- an effective means of encouraging people to take up cycling, or to cycle more often
- a good investment, offering an excellent return
- Investing in ‘smarter choices’ is at least as important as investing in physical improvements to the highway network.
- Both national and local authorities should dedicate sufficient resources to smarter choices, recognising that they rely on revenue rather than capital funding.
Download full campaigns briefing:
Publication Date:February 2015