According to LighterLater, the campaign to introduce daylight saving, its introduction would:
- Save 100 lives each year and prevent hundreds of serious injuries by making the roads safer;
- Help make people healthier and tackle obesity by giving people more time to exercise and play sport outside in the evening;
- Save the NHS around £138 million a year through reducing road casualties.
CTC View (formal statement of CTC's policy):
- CTC supports the idea of researching the effect of shifting time zones to align with many of our European neighbours. Such changes may bring considerable economic and environmental benefits and contribute to improved road safety.
- In addition to the possible disadvantages of the shift for certain areas of the country and certain professions, there may be specific road safety effects on cyclists, such as the potential for greater exposure to icy conditions on winter mornings. These must be taken into account in the research.
- CTC’s final view on daylight saving will be subject to the findings of any official research.
Download full campaigns briefing:
Publication Date:January 2015