Feed aggregator

Re: The bicycle: good enough?

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 12:09pm
reohn2 wrote: But at least it's got disc brakes ....

er, shouldn't that read

reohn2 wrote: But at least it's got discs ....

call me a cynical get but I reckon there are no calipers....

cheers

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 12:06pm
Why are we talking about smoke alarms in a debate about helmet cams?

Vorpal wrote:As for helmet cams.... Like everything else drivers with dash cams are 'just protecting themselves' agaisnt claims, etc. but the same camera somehow transforms a cyclist into an aggressive maniac?
But it doesn't! It makes some cyclists into aggressive maniacs - not all of them. The problem being is that as more and more videos make their way into the public domain where a motorist has made a mistake and a cyclist goes out of their way to belittle them then the public will start t think that all helmet cam cyclists act that way, and then that all cyclists act that way.

Cameras have their use. Someone does something dangerous and the evidence can be supplied to the police and some form of education can be given and maybe some punishment. Whether this happens, we are not to know - I've heard some people say that it has happened and some say it hasn't.

However, what I see on the majority of these videos is a cyclist going out of their way to say that they are better than someone else. Yes, the driver made a mistake but is there a need to chase them down, wind them up to a state that they start making fools of themselves and then put that online? The 'Clown takes a pratfall' video comes to mind a lot in this mindset of winding up motorists. Yes, that fella in the Peugeot was a first class idiot but the cyclist knew after he had his first verbal encounter with him that the motorist was not going to back down. Why not be a bigger man and just forget about it there and then - you've made your point but it hasn't sunk in. Is there a need to goad the man so that he makes a fool of himself and then let the whole world see? What if that man had some past that the press got hold of that they turned against the holder of the video camera? Suppose the press make out he was a war hero from the first Iraq war who had suffered from psychological issues and anger problems - but had got over these through therapy and then this cyclist comes along and winds him up. It doesn't even have to be that true - once the press get hold of a tiny smell of a better story that will sell their papers then they will and mud will stick.

I get some close passes occasionally. I get motorists cutting in on me - usually I make a type of gesture of "wtf was that all about?" Not any aggression towards the other driver. Sometimes after doing this the next driver that passes me will make a gesture at me in the tone of "Blummin' heck, that was close". In my mind, whilst the first motorist got away with it - but maybe he saw my gesture, the second motorist thought about things and he/she will give just that little bit extra thought around cyclists. Cloud cuckoo land - maybe. But going out of one's way to humiliate people or have heated arguments is bad for cyclists in general.

Summer successes

Play on Pedals blog - 1 September 2015 - 12:00pm

Play on Pedals has now completed its busy summer drop-in sessions and is returning back to training sessions with nurseries across the city.

The summer has been a huge success in many ways. Between June and the end of August we have engaged just over 480 children in community events and drop in sessions.

Here are some highlights:

During the first weekend of August, Glasgow Life invited us to celebrate the Anniversary of the Commonwealth Games in George Square, along with lots of different sporting activities. Our Play on Pedals instructors were overrun with children wanting a shot on the bikes and over the two days, registered over 80 children!

Glasgow Life has also supported us to run drop-in sessions at their Kelvingrove Tennis Courts over July and August. These sessions have seen 84 children attend with their parents for tips and support to get going on pedal bikes. We helped lots of kids get pedalling, including Calvin here who is only 3!

And has some lovely feedback from parents:

Thank you Play On Pedals! My daughter learned to ride a pedal bike with you today and has not stopped smiling since! All the instructors were friendly and supportive, demonstrating great patience and encouragement. We are so glad we came along today

Our Riverside Museum Family Fun Day held with the Glasgow Bike Station in June was such a success that we returned for regular weekend sessions during August. Running over three weekends, we helped 141 children with their skills on balance and pedal bikes and gave advice to parents about taking off stabilizers and using balance bikes.

Erin managed to start cycling on her own after a visit to us at the Riverside :)

It’s been a fantastic summer for Play on Pedals and we are really pleased to have been able to meet lots of families, parents and children at our events. It’s been lovely to see many repeat visits and familiar faces over these months too.

Our Instructors have also learnt a lot – many of them are nursery staff who previously had only delivered within their nursery but now have experience with children from across the city!


Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 11:15am
karlt wrote:irc wrote:[XAP]Bob wrote:You just have to hope the battery doesn't fail prematurely - which could leave it without the power to beep.

Also check the date on the alpha source...

I rely on burning toast once or twice a year to ensure it still works.

Sausages. It's almost impossible to grill sausages without setting off what we now refer to as the sausage alarm.
Maybe I should burn more stuff cooking...

Actually, I go around and replace all the batteries in the smoke alarms once per year, then use those batteries in less critical stuff, like toys. I also test them (using the little 'test' button) after I've installed the new batteries.

As for helmet cams.... Like everything else drivers with dash cams are 'just protecting themselves' agaisnt claims, etc. but the same camera somehow transforms a cyclist into an aggressive maniac?

Re: New Route Planner

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 11:12am
Thanks for the message I'll see if I can get the local OSM data updated so it is a more accurate representation of reality.

Rick.

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 11:08am
Lance Dopestrong wrote:
At best a camera is good for a bit of legal retribution after the event. It does nothing whatsoever to actually make you any safer.

The law doesn't allow retribution - only that you should be at least no worse off as consequence of someone else's negligence. So if the law is on your side it's useful to have evidence to back it up in the face of the inevitable denial.

And as motorists become aware that they can't run in to you with impunity they're likely to take more care, which in turn does make you safer.

4 months in South East Asia

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 10:50am
Hi Folks,

I have a 4 month trip coming up to South East Asia. The plan is to head north from Bangkok towards Chiang Ria and then cross into Laos. I’m not bothered about going to Luang Prabang as I’ve been there before, but have a keen interest on exploring the area around Phonsavan.
There seems to be two options in Laos, the route 2 from Muang Ngeun or the route 3 from Huay Xai. I’d like to ask if anybody has experience of either of the routes and what I should expect. Is one route more hilly than the other? (I fully appreciate this is a very mountainous area.) What’s the distance’s between accommodation like? 80km a day is my ideal but I can do 160km if needs be. I’d be grateful for any info.
Also, is there anything on route north in Thailand that I should make an effort to see. I enjoy the country side and the feel of the jungle, temples and parks of lesser visited areas. Not overly keen on very touristy areas.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Re: Rear lights are driving me mad

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 10:49am
I prefer the barrel shaped Cateye things with 2 x AA batteries (good rechargeables) that can be renewed each year. I use a pannier rack so the light is always securely fitted in the best position. I try to have 2 rear lights in case something goes wrong with one. A light with a built in battery will only last as long as the battery.

Re: looking for a companion: BURMA/LAOS or BUENOS AIRES/USHU

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 10:15am
Hi Helgaz,

I fly out to Bangkok on the 1 November for 4 months. Plan is to cycle north and then enter Laos and do a loop around to Phonsavan, then down to Vientiane to get a visa for Vietnam. I think I have up to 30 days in Thailand on a "visa on arrival" so will be staying in Thailand no longer than that, then I get a month in Laos.
If you think that might fit with what you have planned drop me a line, although I think I'll be 2 or 3 weeks in front of you. A shame as your style of travel, distances a day and approach to budget are much the same as mine.

All the best with your trip,

Phil.

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 10:02am
irc wrote:[XAP]Bob wrote:irc wrote:
Don't need to. It goes from silent to giving single beeps when the battery gets low.

You just have to hope the battery doesn't fail prematurely - which could leave it without the power to beep.

Also check the date on the alpha source...

I rely on burning toast once or twice a year to ensure it still works.

Sausages. It's almost impossible to grill sausages without setting off what we now refer to as the sausage alarm.

Re: Nutrition during P-B-P

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 9:40am
Vorpal wrote:I've never done PBP nor LEL. I don't honestly think I would enjoy something like that. That said, I have done some long distance rides. My advice: eat everything you can. If someone puts food in front of you, eat it. If you see food, eat it. )

Quite.

I call it a seefood diet.

Re: garmin map for France

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 7:10am
+1 for openfietsmap

Re: The folder revelation and results so far

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 12:15am
SSCN4861.JPG

I use a folder for most of my riding. I live a ten minute walk from work so my bike is ridden purely for pleasure. I got a folder because my work pattern is unpredictable and I found that I was riding over the same routes. Putting the folder in the car and driving to distant start points enabled me to explore new roads.

The bike (Xootr Swift) only has 8 gears but I find that to be more than enough. I fitted a smaller chainwheel to lower the gearing and 'bar ends that change the flat 'bars into drops. The 20" wheels roll well and I have no problem riding 35 to 40 miles at a time (hills permitting!).

When I remember the old single speed bikes I had as a boy and the distances I covered on them I am sometimes ashamed at how fewer miles I ride on better bikes!

Folders are great and can be used for most types of leisure riding. My Xootr is my first choice when planning a ride.

SSCN5014.JPG

As you can see from the photos, I like to change things on it. The Xootr takes standard parts (except the seat post and stem riser) so I can customise it 'till my heart's content.

Re: la vuelta 2015 Kicks Off On Sat 22nd Aug ITV4

CTC Forum - Racing - 1 September 2015 - 12:03am
Expect to see the race live on weds, and will see if Dumoulin is the real deal. Going for a froome/quintana battle.

Re: The bicycle: good enough?

CTC Forum - On the road - 31 August 2015 - 11:38pm
The DF bicycle developed quickly from the Hobby horse and hasn't changed fundamentally other than (significant) incremental tweaks and ongoing refinements,but the basic bicycle is still there.
It's ability to instil freedom in the individual for the their energy input is unsurpassed.

Beautiful it is,and most definitely 'good enough' .

Re: The bicycle: good enough?

CTC Forum - On the road - 31 August 2015 - 11:23pm
Brucey wrote:mill4six wrote:This might be quite speedy.

https://www.facebook.com/43033336703362 ... =1&theater



blimey....

More style than substance IMHO.... a tail fairing would net at least as much gain without knackering the steering so much(think of the windage torque on the bars!!!!)...

The wheel fairing panel gaps are too tight at the front of the machine; on a bumpy road the steering will bind.

The gearing isn't going to be any good for going fast with, not with that size chainring.

You can't go up hills either, because there is no small ring, and you can't fit a small ring because the frame was designed by a twit, so that the chain will foul the chainstay....

As if further evidence of the muddled thought involved were needed, you can see that they thought that the handlebar had to be 'aero' even behind the windscreen, for some reason....

cheers

But at least it's got disc brakes

It's a MAMIL's machine if ever I saw one,now where's the engine?

Re: The bicycle: good enough?

CTC Forum - On the road - 31 August 2015 - 9:57pm
mill4six wrote:This might be quite speedy.

https://www.facebook.com/43033336703362 ... =1&theater



blimey....

More style than substance IMHO.... a tail fairing would net at least as much gain without knackering the steering so much(think of the windage torque on the bars!!!!)...

The wheel fairing panel gaps are too tight at the front of the machine; on a bumpy road the steering will bind.

The gearing isn't going to be any good for going fast with, not with that size chainring.

You can't go up hills either, because there is no small ring, and you can't fit a small ring because the frame was designed by a twit, so that the chain will foul the chainstay....

As if further evidence of the muddled thought involved were needed, you can see that they thought that the handlebar had to be 'aero' even behind the windscreen, for some reason....

cheers

Re: Pre-ride (or pre-drive) checks.

CTC Forum - On the road - 31 August 2015 - 8:37pm
other kinds of settling can cause the bulk of 'apparent stretch' but in fact, all cables do stretch;

1) elastically (reversibly) when under load, and
2) permanently (not reversibly) typically the first time they see a high load, due to settling of the strands in the structure of the cable.

To combat 2), cables usually come 'pre-stretched'. This doesn't make them immune to settling stretch but it does greatly reduce it, down to perhaps 1% or so settling once installed. However bicycle cables are also fitted in curves, and cables that see a high load in a curve will settle (stretch) a little when they see the high load for the first time. [You can tell that this is happening because the cable will be a different shape when removed, once it has seen a little service. If it is removed without seeing a high load. it'll be just the same shape as when it went in.]

cheers

Re: Pre-ride (or pre-drive) checks.

CTC Forum - On the road - 31 August 2015 - 8:24pm
At risk of starting that debate all over again, brake cables do not and never have stretched. Pads wear, outers can compress fractionally and settle into the stops, but they do not stretch.
Syndicate content

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

Copyright © CTC 2015

Terms and Conditions