- Deliver the services you say you will.
- Be welcoming to new members. Try and avoid cliques, and don't expect newcomers to turn up to every meeting, or to take part in a sixty mile 'social' ride every Sunday.
- Get members involved. Delegate, and don't bemoan the lack of activity if you won't give them anything to do.
- Remind people before their membership lapses, and give them more than one chance to renew.
- Communicate to the group any successes, no matter how big or small. Use these as an opportunity to gain more members by involving the local media.